When salted egg yolks are your thing, but you want to be different, bake some salted egg yolk tarts. Ditch croissants and try this recipe instead. Oozing with sugary-salty goodness, these tarts are easy to bake and a great tea time snack.
Salted Egg Yolk Tarts recipeCourse: SnacksCuisine: Singaporean
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 egg whites
2 tbsp salted butter (melted)
1/4 cup castor sugar or fine sugar
1/3 cup hot water
1 tbsp fresh milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
4 mashed salted egg yolk
- Let’s start to prepare the pastry. Cream the salted butter with icing sugar, egg yolk and egg white. Add in flour and mix well.
- Once it has been well-mixed, knead the mixture to form a dough.
- Wrap thedough in clingwrap and put it into the fridge for 15mins to let it cool.
- Then, cut the dough into twelve equal portions and roll them into a ball.
- By using a tart case, press the pastry ball into a flat piece.
- Line the dough in the middle of tart cases, lightly press the dough into the tart cases.
- Refrigerate the tart cases for 30 minutes and it is ready to use.
- Now we can start the filling. Add castorsugar into hot water and beat with a whisk until sugar is completely dissolved.Set aside and let it cool.
- Beat the eggs with milk, vanilla essence and mashed salted egg yolk. Pour them all in sugar water and mix well.
- Be sure to sift the mixture twice to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Take the tarts out of the refrigerator and carefully pour egg mixture into each tart shells.
- Bake tarts for 25mins at 180 degree. You should get golden-brown egg tarts in no time!
Missing some ingredients? You can still order the needed items from the nearest pandamart and get them delivered in 25 minutes!