Canadian cuisine isn’t necessarily famous but there are plenty of Canadian dishes finding their way onto the international food scene, courtesy of some delicious fast-food items, hearty breakfasts and lashings of Canadian maple syrup. At the heart of it, food from Canada is usually comfort food, perfect for colder months or relaxed evenings.
A Guide To Canadian Classics – Throughout The Day
When Canadians eat a proper breakfast, it is usually a big deal. Expect to see cooked eggs, pork sausages on fried French toast, cured bacon and fluffy pancakes stacked high. Of course, the star of any breakfast is traditional maple syrup, drizzled over everything, savoury or sweet! For lunch, sandwiches are a favourite – from Nova Scotian lobster rolls to smoked meat deli rolls with mustard and pickles. Dinner for Canadians is the biggest meal of the day, often including beef steak, pork chops or chicken breasts. These are served alongside potatoes, bread and roasted or cooked vegetables.
Canadian Food – Interesting Facts
Although Canadian cuisine isn’t famous throughout the world, there are many food items or techniques that find their way onto plates around the globe without many of us knowing it! Canada also borrows from other food cultures, most notably the French, but always puts a delicious twist on it. Here are a few Canadian food facts to whet your appetite!
- Maple syrup is loved around the world for its sweet and syrupy goodness, perfect for pancakes and porridge. Canada produces 71% of the maple syrup in all of the world, with over 90% of that coming from Quebec.
- Whether you love it or not, the Hawaiian Pizza was invented on Canadian shores, forever dividing the world of pizza. Pineapple and ham on top of a pizza? We love it.
- If you are a lover of dusted sugar treats, you might be pleased to know that Canada is the biggest consumer of doughnuts around the world and has the most doughnut shops of any country. So if you fancy a doughnut, you know where to go.
Popular Canadian Dishes:
Canadian cuisine is considered to be some of the most delicious and filling food items in the world. Canadians love nothing more than to get family and friends over with their favourite dish and to eat socially and enjoy good company and great food. Below is a list of some mouthwatering Canadian favourites to get you in the mood for comfort food.
- Poutine: this dish is essentially a plate of french fries, covered in delicious cheese curds and topped with a generous amount of meaty gravy. This is the basic poutine – like all good fast foods, you can add whatever you like and personalise this delicious dish. Adding bacon or pulled pork will take this dish to another level!
- Berry pie:Saskatoon berries are usually used in this country classic, but almost any fruit can find its way into this delicious pie. Crumbly and sweet shortcrust pastry covers a hot fruit filling – a slice of this pie makes a perfect partner to a cup of coffee in the morning or as a decadent dessert in the evening.
And here are some dishes that are truly Canadian, but are often overlooked!
- Peameal bacon: a much more lean cut of meat, this cured bacon is covered in cornmeal to give it a yellow and crispy crust.
- Tourtière: a savoury meat pie, served in shortcrust pastry. Tourtière is usually eaten on holidays, but this pie can be found year-round as well.