Originating in the Mediterranean basin, Mediterranean cuisine is a unique style of eating that places a significant focus on healthy living as well as delicious food. If you are conscious about what you are putting into your body but you would still like to get the ultimate satisfaction when you eat, then the Mediterranean way of life will surely appeal to you. We’ve compiled a list of the best foods you can try for a delicious and intricate taste experience.
How to eat like a Mediterranean national
Those of you who enjoy the freshest foods will find that Mediterranean cuisine is the ideal eating style. A Mediterranean breakfast will generally revolve around fresh bread, olive oil and cured meats and cheeses. This is the smallest meal of the day and is often eaten shortly before noon. Lunch is often varied and you may find yourself tucking into a quick sandwich or a fresh salad made with cheese, herbs and nuts. Once you have finished your day, it is common to tuck into a large dinner. The evening meal in Mediterranean cuisine is often characterised by meat dishes with vegetables, pasta or rice and bread that can be used to mop up any remaining sauce. However, depending on the region you are visiting, you may find that lunch and dinner foods are switched around.
Things you didn’t know about Mediterranean food
- People who follow a Mediterranean diet are far less likely to develop cancer or heart disease due to the large amounts of healthy fats and antioxidants that occur naturally in these kinds of foods.
- Wine is the most common drink at a Mediterranean meal; alternatively, diners have the option to wash their meals down with water.
- Mediterranean meals are often a family event, people take their time to enjoy their meals and use the mealtime to catch up with their friends and family.
Must-try Mediterranean dishes
- Spanakopita: This Greek dish consists of crispy layers of phyllo pastry with a filling of spinach and feta. This dish is then glazed with an egg wash before it is baked to golden perfection.
- Hummus: This could probably be classified as one of the most popular Mediterranean dishes in the world. Made from ground chickpeas, tahini, lemon and olive oil, it is packed with healthy fats and makes the perfect topping for sandwiches or a dip for vegetables.
- Paella: This rice and fish dish is the ultimate dish for those who are looking for a satisfying meal that is packed with flavour. Delicately spiced with saffron, the real punch comes from the chorizo that is often included in this dish.
- Ratatouille: This French dish consists of thinly sliced courgettes, bell peppers, tomatoes, fennel and onion. This is delicately seasoned with salt, marjoram and basil before being baked in a hot oven. This dish is usually served with a side of crusty bread.
Spectacular yet less common Mediterranean meals
- Lentils and yoghurt: This is one of the most underrated dishes in Mediterranean cuisine. The yoghurt is seasoned with salt and lemon juice before cooked lentils are folded in.
- Baba ganoush: Another dip-type dish, baba ganoush is made from roasted aubergines and roasted sesame seeds that are ground into a paste.
- Kofta: These lamb kebabs are made by moulding seasoned lamb mincemeat onto a kebab skewer before being cooked over an open flame.