When the festive period rolls around, nothing tastes better than a homemade treat like Christmas fudges. This one easy recipe makes four delicious Christmas fudge flavours: smooth vanilla bean, cooling peppermint, cosy gingerbread, and mature salted caramel.
Ingredients (makes 24 pieces)
- 275ml of condensed milk
- 100ml of milk
- 300g of brown sugar
- 75g of butter
- For vanilla bean fudge:
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla paste
- Topping: sprinkles
- For peppermint fudge:
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Topping: crushed candy canes
- For gingerbread fudge:
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Topping: cinnamon sugar
- For salted caramel fudge:
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Topping: sea salt flakes
How to make it
1. First, divide a 20cm square baking tin into four sections using strips of folded baking paper. This doesn’t need to be too precise as fudge often looks better rugged.
2. Next, combine the condensed milk, milk, sugar, and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Turn the stove to a low heat and slowly melt the mixture until the sugar is fully dissolved.
3. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to the boil. Then, turn the heat back down and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. You’ll need to stir constantly to prevent it from sticking and burning.
4. There are two ways to tell when your fudge should be taken off the heat. Ideally, you should use a sugar thermometer and stop cooking when the temperature reaches 115 to 118°C. Alternatively, use a spoon to carefully drop some of the mixture in ice water. If it forms a soft ball of fudge, it’s ready.
5. Take your mixture off the heat and divide it equally into 4 bowls. Leave it to cool for 5 minutes, then add each of your Christmas fudge flavourings to the bowls. Beat each one for 10 minutes until it thickens considerably and is no longer shiny. It helps to have a partner to get through this stage quicker.
6. Press your fudge flavours into each quarter of your divided tin and leave to cool. Cut into squares and serve.
Get more fudge delivered
Still hankering for more sugary goodness after making your Christmas fudges? Treat yourself this Christmas with fudgy ice cream from Ben & Jerry’s or a chocolate fudge cake from Vicky’s & the Coffee Shack.