A dish with Mexican origins and the ideal snack food, spicy nachos topped with cheese are a great way of starting the weekend when you meet up with friends for drinks on Friday evening or they make the ideal party food when friends and family come round to your place. Mexican nachos are not, however, always the healthiest of choices as they come loaded with full-fat cheese. But, with our quick recipe for vegetarian nachos, you can treat yourself to as many as you like without feeling guilty. Our quick and easy recipe for vegetarian nachos takes just 20 minutes to prepare and serves six people.
Party food for all: our crowd-pleasing vegetarian nachos recipe
- 8 cups low-fat tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/2 cup canned sweetcorn (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small red onion (diced or sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced or sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups grated low-fat cheddar cheese (or a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
- low-fat sour cream, salsa and fresh coriander for serving
How to make your vegetarian nachos
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C). While the oven is warming, arrange the tortilla chips in a thick-bottomed baking tray or skillet so that they overlap each other slightly. Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over the top of the tortilla chips.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes, beans, onion and pepper over the tortilla chips and sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Bake for 6 – 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve immediately with a spoonful of low-fat sour cream and a spoonful of salsa on each portion and finish with a sprinkling of chopped fresh coriander.
Good to know …
While our recipe has given you some vegetable ingredients, you can, of course, add any vegetables you like to your nachos. You can also notch up the good health factor even more by using just fat-free mozzarella instead of low-fat cheddar. You’ll still get that yummy cheesy stretch vibe! If we’ve inspired you to eat more healthily but you want your vegetarian dishes delivered rather than making your own, we suggest Salad Stop! (Novena), D’Life (Toa Payoh) or LingZhi Vegetarian (Velocity@Novena Square).