A pineapple tart is a small crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth pastry with a pineapple filling. These delicious treats are traditionally eaten as a dessert at Chinese New Year but we think they’re too good to save for special occasions. Our simple recipe makes 100 tarts and takes around two and a half hours from start to finish.
Pineapple tarts recipeCourse: BakingCuisine: Desserts, SingaporeanDifficulty: Medium
350g unsalted butter (room temperature)
100g sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks (2 for the wash)
500g plain flour
2 whole pineapples
1/2 tbsp cloves (optional)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp condensed milk
1/2 tsp oil
- Peel, then dice the pineapple into small pieces and puree in a blender. Put into a non-stick pot with the cloves and cook on medium heat, stirring continuously until almost dry.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice, stirring well. Continue simmering on a low heat until the filling turns golden in colour and becomes very sticky.
- Remove the cloves and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cream the butter and condensed milk until fluffy. Beat in two egg yolks, one at a time then slowly mix in the flour until a dough-like pastry is formed. It’s ready when it no longer sticks to the hand.
- Divide into 100 pieces and flatten each into a disc. Roll half of the pineapple filling into 100 balls using your palms. Put a portion of pineapple filling on each dough disc and roll into a ball.
- Prepare the egg wash by mixing two egg yolks, the 1/4 tsp of condensed milk and 1/2 tsp of oil together in a small bowl.
- Place each tart on a baking sheet and cut a cross on the top of each. Brush the tarts twice with the egg wash.
- Bake at 330 °F (165 °C) until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Good to know
This recipe makes enough pineapple filling for two batches of dough and the filling keeps well in the fridge for a few days. Discover pineapple tart and other tasty pastries in your favourite Singapore bakeries. Our top picks include Duke Bakery (United Square), Delifrance (Thomson Medical Center) and Beard Papa’s (Novena).
Missing ingredients? You can also get them delivered in less than 25 minutes when ordering on the closest pandamart or foodpanda shops!