Recipe: Simply Spiced Indian Peas in Tomato Sauce
Green peas are a versatile, easy to cook with, and nutritious vegetable that can be found in many South Indian stews such as Green Pea Masala and Aloo Matar (Indian Potatoes and Peas), where stews of rice and lentils prevail. Peas have a starchy quality, yet are packed with fibre, protein, and vitamins, making them a great healthy option for a quick dinner. Fresh peas still encased in their pods are wonderful to cook with, but if you can’t find them, frozen peas are also great to work with for this recipe. These Simply Spiced Indian Peas are gluten-free and vegan. The combination of garam masala and cumin add warmth and sweetness to this dish, giving it that signature Indian flavour. Double up the recipe if you enjoy having extras for later, otherwise, this recipe will make two servings that go nicely with flatbread, pitas or rice.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
• 1⁄2 tsp. oil (olive oil or coconut oil)
• 1 garlic clove minced
• 1⁄2 tsp. cumin powder
• 1⁄2 tsp. garam masala
• 150 g peas
• A generous pinch of salt and pepper
• 1⁄4 tsp. red chilli powder, or paprika
• 2 fresh tomatoes (grated without the skin) or 1 can chopped tomato
• 1⁄4 cup water or coconut milk
• Chopped fresh coriander (optional – just as garnish)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and sauté garlic until fragrant.
- Add cumin powder and garam masala, gently stirring the spices into the oil and garlic for about half a minute. Do not burn the spices.
- Add peas, salt, pepper, and paprika. Coat all the ingredients in the oil mixture and lightly sauté for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato and water (or coconut milk), thoroughly incorporating all of the ingredients. The peas should be just covered in the liquid, if not, add some more water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until the water is just evaporated.
- Serve alone, with rice, or bread.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander, optional.
- Add chopped carrots and/or potatoes along with the peas, for a heartier dish (adding slightly more oil as needed).
- Feel free to play with other spices such as garlic powder, paprika, or curry.
- Change this dish into a creamier curry but adding heavy cream, cashew cream, or coconut cream with the tomato sauce.