Hot chocolate has a warm, rich taste that’s an ideal pick-me-up any time you’re feeling a little low or when colder evenings hit. This delicious beverage has a history that goes back to ancient Mexico, more than 2,500 years ago. The drink only began to be served warmed when cocoa beans arrived in Europe, though, as the Mayans used to sip their cocoa bean beverages cold. The Spanish kept the discovery of cocoa beans quiet for a while, but the origins and recipes for their delicious, new drink began to circulate during the 1500s. By the 17th century, London’s chocolate houses rivalled coffee houses for popularity. Our tips for the most luxurious, gourmet hot chocolate drink are to use some of the most indulgent types of chocolate and bring slowly to the boil in a mix of milk and double cream. Top your thick, yummy chocolate drink with a sprinkle of marshmallows, then kick off your shoes and spend a heavenly few moments! Our favourite recipe for the yummiest, thickest French-style hot chocolate drink in town follows below.
Thick, creamy hot chocolate the Parisian way (chocolat chaud)
- 225 g good-quality bittersweet (or semi-sweet if you prefer!) chocolate
- Half cup of double cream
- 1.75 – 2 cups of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Half teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make your hot chocolate
1. Break up the chocolate into small chunks, then simply add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer over a low heat.
2. Keep stirring or whisking this mixture until all the chocolate has melted and it thickens to a rich and creamy texture. If the texture of the mix thickens too much, simply add a little more milk until the smooth and velvety texture of a traditional chocolat chaud is achieved.
3. Pour into mugs and enjoy your steamy and rich hot chocolate straight away. This recipe serves up to four people with a little left over for later!
Where can I find the best hot chocolate drinks in Singapore?
Some of the most popular places to be seen sipping hot chocolate at the moment include Laurent Bernard Chocolatier, NineThirty (by Awfully Chocolate) and Chocolate Mark. Alternatively, next time you’re craving the yummiest hot chocolate beverage in the workplace, use our app and arrange instant delivery for you and your best friends!