Jambalaya is one of the most irresistible dishes in Cajun-Creole cuisine, combining hearty meats, fresh seafood and a myriad of seasonings in one big dish. This recipe may have a lot of ingredients, but it makes up for that with its simple, one-pot cooking method!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500ml chicken broth
- 500g boneless chicken breasts/thighs (skinned, chopped into cubes)
- 350g Andouille sausage (sliced)
- 350g raw shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- 300g crushed tomatoes (or 1 can)
- 200g long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 1 to 2 yellow onions (diced)
- 2 bell peppers (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
How to make jambalaya
1. To cook this dish, use a large casserole dish or stockpot. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high. Once hot, add your chicken, sausage, half a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning. Sauté the meat for around 6 to 8 minutes, stirring regularly, then set aside on a plate.
2. Add the remaining olive oil to your pot and use it to sauté your bell pepper, onions and celery for around 8 to 10 minutes. Then, add the rest of your seasonings: garlic, cayenne, red pepper flakes and the remaining salt and Cajun seasoning. Continue sautéing for another minute.
3. In the same pot, stir in your broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and Worcestershire sauce. Once the mixture is simmering, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and cook on low for around 30 minutes. Make sure you stir regularly to prevent the rice from sticking.
4. Mix in the shrimp and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the cooked chicken and sausage back to the pot and let them heat for a few minutes. You can add extra seasoning to taste.
6. Remove from the stove and serve the jambalaya hot with a garnish of parsley and spring onions.
Or get it delivered
If you don’t have all the ingredients to make jambalaya right now, you can get a taste of this dish with inspired meal deliveries from foodpanda. California Pizza Kitchen has a lip-smacking Jambalaya fettuccine pasta dish, while Fremantle Seafood Market serves grilled king prawn & seafood with jambalaya rice.