Bak kwa jerky is one of our favourite protein snacks and this delicious Chinese pork jerky treat is perfect when you get the midnight munchies or need a quick energy boost that doesn’t pile on the flab. If you’ve never made it before, this simple recipe will be sure to float your boat, and as it will keep for at least one week, you don’t need to eat it all in one go! What’s more, with its 100% natural ingredients and yummy meaty taste this is the perfect gift for friends at New Year or as added party food for any of your celebrations.
Bak kwa jerkyCourse: SnacksCuisine: SingaporeanDifficulty: Medium
Sliced pork (choose a cut that has a lot of fat (at least 20%) or you could use ground pork if that’s all that’s in the store cupboard)
Ground white pepper
Typical 5-spice mix
- Mix all your ingredients in a bowl until the mixture achieves a sticky consistency. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the chiller for at least 8 hours.
- Line a baking tray with foil then spread all of the meat mix inside. Flatten the mixture down with your hand. Then place another layer of greased paper on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the mix down until it’s about 2mm in thickness.
- Bake or grill the mix for about 10 minutes, then use a palette knife to flip it over. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares then place onto a baking tray and brush all over with honey mix. Turn the oven up to 200°C and bake for 10 minutes.
- Be sure to keep an eye on your bak kwa at this crucial time, so it doesn’t burn or char. Flip your meat squares over, brush on more honey mix and repeat.
If your taste buds are craving bak kwa tonight, and you don’t have time to make your own, Fragrance deliveries are just a short hop away. Place your bak kwa order now, and your foodpanda delivery guy will soon be at your door!