No roasted meat is complete without a rich, thick gravy sauce slathered over it. The best way to make gravy is to use the juices left behind after roasting your meat. That way, you get all the rich, fresh flavours that complement your choice of meat perfectly.
What you need
- Your choice of leftover meat fat and juices
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour or cornstarch
- 400ml stock (your choice of chicken or beef)
- 150ml heavy cream
How to make your own gravy sauce
1. After removing your meat from the cooking pan, place it over the stove on a low heat. Leave all the juices in the pan, but spoon off most of the fat layer, leaving behind 1 to 2 tablespoons of fat.
2. Gently heat the fat and juices until they bubble while using a spatula to scrape up any drippings on the bottom of the pan.
3. Once bubbling, turn the heat up to medium-low and quickly whisk in your flour or cornflour until well combined. Sometimes it’s easier to mix the flour in a jug with some stock first to create a slurry.
4. Continuing to whisk quickly, slowly add your stock and cream. Keep whisking until the gravy simmers and thickens to around half its original volume.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then pour into a gravy jug to serve.
A gravy sauce made this way is sure to go amazingly with your dish. But, for a really perfect gravy, there are different additions you can make based on your meat of choice. If you’re making beef gravy, reduce the amount of stock you add to 250ml and substitute the remaining stock with a dry Madeira wine. For lamb gravy, mix a teaspoon of mustard powder into your flour, then spoon in redcurrant jelly. As for duck gravy, zesting and juicing an orange to add to the gravy brings a delectable citrus twist.
Which delivery restaurants serve gravy?
With foodpanda, you’ll find plenty of restaurants that serve gravy sauce with their meals. At German chain Deutschlander, for example, gravy comes with several items on the menu. Try the crispy pork knuckle with beer gravy, or the Munich braised beef with red wine gravy. If you prefer chicken, order the farm roast chicken with herbs gravy from Swensen’s.