Punch up your day by preparing a savoury tiramisu using a user-friendly recipe. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cook, this recipe will ensure you prepare your dessert the Italian way. The recipe will offer you a seamless process of preparing a simple and creamy tiramisu Italian dessert. You’re guaranteed a pick-me-up dessert that has rich and luxurious creamy layers. The dessert is made of ingredients you can easily find at your local grocery store.
Tiramisu recipeCourse: Breakfast, DessertCuisine: Italian
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup caster sugar
1 cup water
3 eggs yolks
1 cup espresso or strong coffee
5 tbsp dark rum (optional)
About 24 ladyfingers
2 tbsp cocoa
Electric hand mixer
3 Mixing bowls (one should be bigger than the rest)
- Set a double boiler by placing the mixing bowl over a pan that has simmering water. Ensure the bottom of your bowl doesn’t touch the water in the pan.
- Put egg yolks and the caster sugar in the mixing bowl. Whisk until the caster sugar are well combined to make the zabaglione. Place the bowl that has the mixture over the pan of simmering water and continue whisking until all the sugar dissolves. The mixture should become thick and double in volume.
- Add in the dark rum and continue whisking until the mixture becomes thick, foamy, and pale yellow. Remove your bowl from the set-up and put it aside until it cools to room temperature.
- Put the mascarpone in another larger bowl and use the electric hand mixer to beat the mascarpone. Add the cream and continue beating the mixture until it is well combined.
- Add the mascarpone to the egg yolks and sugar mixture and beat it until it becomes thick and creamy. Ensure your mixture doesn’t have any lumps. Put the mixture in the fridge to allow it to rest as you make your coffee.
- Transfer the espresso or strong coffee into a smaller bowl. Dip the ladyfingers into the coffee so they can soak up the coffee. Don’t allow your ladyfingers to remain in the liquid for long. Ensure the ladyfingers stay in the coffee for one to two seconds. If possible, soak every ladyfinger at a time.
- Add a little mixture of mascarpone in the rectangular baker and place half of the ladyfingers on top. Ensure you arrange the ladyfingers closely on top of the mascarpone mixture that you’ve added at the bottom of the rectangular baker. Ensure you place the ladyfingers in a close single layer.
- Spread enough mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. It would be best to spread the mixture evenly to ensure your Tiramisu ends up with even layers. Use a spatula so you can smooth out the mixture to ensure it sits evenly on top of the ladyfingers.
- Sprinkle cocoa on top of the mascarpone mixture that’s spread on top of the ladyfingers.
- Place the remaining half of the ladyfingers that you dipped into the coffee. Cover the top of the ladyfingers with the remaining mixture of mascarpone. Ensure you take the mixture to the sides of the dish to cover the edges. Use the spatula to smooth out the mixture.
- Wrap the tiramisu dessert with plastic wrap and allow the content to chill for five hours or more. If possible, refrigerate the dessert for 24 hours. It will help if your ladyfingers and the zabaglione mixture are soft for cutting.
- Dust the Tiramisu dessert with cocoa before serving. The more you allow your Italian dessert to rest, the better it will become. The ladyfingers will continue to soften the more you will enable the dessert to rest. This softness is ideal to ensure the dessert has a sliceable consistency. The dessert should be served while still in the pan.
- If you don’t prefer using rum when making your tiramisu, you can mix the coffee with vanilla that you’ll use to soak your ladyfingers.
- Avoid drenching your ladyfingers. Soaking them will make them lose the structure or even collapse.
- Ensure you prepare this tiramisu Italian dessert using fresh mascarpone. Using a mascarpone that’s close to expiry may make your dessert lose its creaminess or even collapse.
- Take your time whisking the egg yolks and the sugar since these two make an excellent foundation for your Tiramisu dessert. Poorly whisked egg yolks may lead to frustrating results. Use an electric hand mixer to avoid using physical labour.
Missing any ingredients? You can now find among thousands of products from the shops you love. In a few taps, order your groceries and we’ll deliver straight to your door in 25 minutes.