Ondeh Ondeh is a traditional Peranakan dessert which consists of sweet, savoury gula melaka encased inside the soft outer layer of glutinous rice ball, is definitely a favourite among Singaporeans of any generation. These can easily be found in any hawker centre stall selling kueh mueh, or traditional Malay or Peranakan desserts and pastries. Alternatively, learn to make these in the comfort of your own kitchen with these easy steps!
Ondeh Ondeh recipe (Sweet Coconut Rice Balls)Course: Dessert, SnacksCuisine: Peranakan
400 g glutinous rice flour (~3x 1/2 cups)
360 ml water (~1/2 cup)
1 block palm sugar (chopped)
1 tbsp pandan paste
1 dessicated grated coconut
1 pinch of salt
- Add a teaspoon of the pandan paste to the water and stir to mix.
- Put the rice flour in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Slowly add the green water to the rice flour while you stir with a spoon.
- Keep adding water and stirring until the dough comes together. The dough should be smooth and pliable.
- Take about a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball with your hands. Put your finger into the ball to make an indentation.
- Put about 1/2 teaspoon of chopped palm sugar in it and carefully close it, making sure the dough doesn’t break.
- Roll it until you have a ball again. If the dough breaks all the time, you may have to add a bit more water to the dough, or use a bit less palm sugar.
- Repeat until you have used up all of the dough. Arrange them on a surface sprinkled with rice flour to prevent sticking.
- Steam the dessicated grated coconut for about 5 minutes to soften it and make it stick better.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, lower the heat to a gentle boil, and drop in the rice balls.
- Cook them until they start to float. Then cook them for about 30 seconds longer.
- Once the rice balls are done, take them out of the simmering water with a slotted spoon and transfer them to the steamed coconut.
- Carefully stir the rice balls to cover them completely with coconut, and allow them to cool a little before serving.
Need to buy the ondeh ondeh ingredients?
Find your nearest Pandamart and get your ingredients such as the rice flour, sugar or pandan paste delivered in 25 minutes at your door for preparing your ondeh ondeh at home!