If you’re looking for a healthier way to start your morning than coffee, look no further than the curcuma latte. Also known as a turmeric latte, this hot milk drink is full of nutritional benefits and comforting flavour. Here’s how you can make your own with ease.
What you’ll need
- 475ml of almond milk (you can also use any other dairy or non-dairy milk of your choice)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric (curcuma)
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon or 1 small cinnamon stick
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of ground or fresh ginger
- Optional additional spices: cardamom, black pepper
What to do
1. Find a small saucepan that’s big enough to hold your milk. Ideally, you should use a thick-bottomed pan. These pans heat slowly, preventing your latte from scorching or burning. Pour your milk into the saucepan and heat it over a gentle, low to medium temperature.
2. As the milk is heating, add the rest of your ingredients. Make sure you stir or whisk the milk as you add the spices and sweetener to prevent them from sinking to the bottom and sticking to the pan. Keep heating and stirring the latte for around three minutes. Make sure the milk doesn’t reach a boil but don’t take it off the heat until it’s warmed through. If necessary, turn the heat down to avoid boiling it.
3. Once the latte is ready, take it off the heat and pour it into mugs. If you’ve added fresh ginger or a cinnamon stick to your pan, make sure you pour the latte through a tea strainer to remove any lumps.
Get one ready made
Once you’re done, the result should be a smooth, delicious, healthful latte ready to drink-just make sure you let it cool down a little first! If you’d like it a little sweeter, you’re always free to add more syrup or honey. You can also use a milk frother to get a bubblier, creamier texture. For a curcuma latte that’s just as pretty as the ones you’d buy, sprinkle the top with a little ground cinnamon.
If you’d rather skip the simmering and get your curcuma latte delivered ready-made, check out Carrotsticks & Cravings or The Good Boys Juice and Coffee Bar for perfectly blended beverages.