Earl Grey Souffle Recipe (20 mins.)
Hi! We are Drool, you’d know us by now. We have met for five consecutive weeks. We are a community of homechefs who cook, create and connect. In short, we relish in sharing recipes and cooking tips, and showcasing culinary creations.
Our space here features five weekly recipes that are tea-inspired, each by a different Drool chef/baker. Four fabulous weeks of tea-lightful cooking and baking have flown by just like that and this is our concluding droolicious instalment – an Earl Grey Souffle by Drool homechef, Jiajia Ng. Enjoy!
But hey, good things need not end. Continue to visit us at droolsg.com for an unending stock of recipes and food-related tales that are delectable treats to both the eye and the palate. Catch you again soon!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
17 g loose leaf earl grey tea
75 ml water
78 ml whole milk
17 g plain flour
23 g caster sugar
11 g cold unsalted butter, diced, plus extra melted butter for greasing
1 medium egg yolks
2 medium egg whites
25 g caster sugar
To make base
1. Combine water and earl grey tea leaves and boil till about 1 tbsp of liquid is left.
2. Strain the mixture to obtain the liquid.
3. Heat milk and pour in the concentrated earl grey liquid. Let cool
4. Mix the flour, butter, sugar and egg together.
5. Pour in milk and pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat till it becomes thick, stirring constantly.
6. Let the thick custard cool.
To make meringue
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Whip the egg whites till frothy.
3. Add in sugar and whip till stiff peaks form.
4. Fold the egg whites into the thick custard gently.
5. Butter ramekins with upward strokes and coat the ramekins with sugar.
6. Pour the mixture into the ramekins.
7. Using your thumb, whip the edges of the ramekins. This will help the soufflé to rise.
8. Bake for about 12-15 mins, depending on how big your ramekins are.
9. Serve while they are still hot
Drool chef Jiajia Ng is a nutritionist by profession but she loves to bake and in fact, “not always healthily”, by her own admission. For Jiajia, eating in moderation is the best form of healthy eating. Access her profile at droolsg.com.