It may surprise you, but chicken fried steak doesn’t actually include chicken at all. Instead, this dish is named for the way it’s cooked-tenderised cube steak pan-fried in seasoned flour, just like typical fried chicken. For a taste of this Southern US classic, follow our delicious recipe below.
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 4 x 250g cube steaks or tenderised sirloin
- 250g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 350ml buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco or sriracha
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Enough oil for deep frying
For the gravy:
- 30g plain flour
- 1 litre milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make chicken fried steak
1. Your steaks should be around 5mm (1/4 inch) thick. If they’re not, pound them until they reach the correct thickness.
2. In a bowl, stir together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the wet ingredients: egg, buttermilk, hot sauce and garlic. Mix until the batter is an even consistency.
4. Dip a steak in the dry flour mixture. Then, dredge the steak in the wet batter mixture. Finally, dip it in flour again and pat extra flour onto the surface until it’s completely dry on the outside. Repeat with the rest of the steaks.
5. Heat your oil in a heavy, shallow pan until it reaches 165 degrees Celsius. Fry the steaks for around 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until they’re golden brown. After frying, leave the steaks to drain on paper towels.
6. Drain most of the fat out of the skillet, leaving behind around 50-75ml of oil along with the solid remnants.
7. Return the pan to a medium-low heat to make the gravy. Whisk your flour into the oil, making sure to scrape up the solids from the bottom of the pan. Then, stir in the milk. Raise the heat and bring the gravy to a simmer, cooking for around 5 to 7 minutes until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve your chicken fried steaks immediately topped with your gravy.
Where to get fried steak delivered
If you just can’t wait to try chicken fried steak, order a delivery with foodpanda. Fatboy’s The Burger Bar and FatPapas both serve tender Country Fried Steak with a secret herbed seasoning and cheesy bechamel topping.