Vegetable soup from a can is okay, but it’s even better when it’s been lovingly made by hand. The myriad of veggies will keep you full and boost your nutrition, while the array of seasonings add deep aromatic flavour. You can add any vegetables you like to this cosy and simple recipe, so if you don’t like our suggestions, feel free to switch them out for your own favourites. You can also vary the seasonings-for example, by adding chilli pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 800ml vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 medium potatoes (chopped)
- 2 to 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 400g crushed tomatoes (undrained)
- 100g sweetcorn (canned or frozen)
- 100g peas (canned or frozen)
- 100g green beans (canned or frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 10g fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make vegetable soup
1. In a large stockpot, casserole dish or Dutch oven, heat your olive oil on a medium-high setting. You can also adapt this recipe for your slow cooker if you prefer.
2. Sauté your carrots, onion, and celery for around 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue sautéing for 30 seconds to a minute.
3. Pour in your broth and crushed tomatoes, then add all the seasonings: parsley, bay leaf, Italian herbs and salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil.
4. Add your green beans, then reduce the heat and cover. Simmer on medium-low heat for around 20 to 30 minutes. When the potatoes are almost fully cooked, you’re ready for the final step.
5. Add your corn and your peas and continue boiling for around 5 minutes.
6. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot with fresh bread for dipping.
Try different soups with foodpanda
Since vegetable soup is a staple across so many cuisines, you can find numerous variations available for delivery. Nalan Restaurant, for example, has a hot & sour veg soup on the menu as well as clear soup and sweetcorn soup. Feng Wei Seafood also has a range of vegetable options, from salted vegetable soup to bitter gourd soup.